Saturday 1 November 2008

Make me sweat

Today I submitted my first feedback card at my local gym David Lloyds. For the fifth or so time, I had had enough of what seemed like a lack of encouragement from group fitness instructors. Generally speaking, most of them are talented and informed but for the most part they lack any sort of push and challenge towards their students. Most of the time I never break a sweat. In order to do so, I modify movements so I can test my limit and increasingly get stronger. What I've found, however, is many of the instructors have called me out and said something along the lines of "Don't do that yet - low impact first" or "take it easy - you might injure yourself" or "we're not there yet." My favorite: "Don't kick so high." What most of them don't know is that I've either warmed up already, I am very conscious of form, I have much experience in training, and sincerely appreciate their interest in my safety. What I find wrong with this training strategy though is a lack of challenge, a lack of pushing people to exercise to be stronger, faster, fitter, whatever their goals may be. Instructors should encourage such motivation if they see it in their students' actions. Especially if it is at a gym and people come to work hard.

A typical session in a group fitness class in the States embodies a mentality of "You're here for an hour so push yourself!" Instructors are motivating, challenging, exciting, and fun. They do not downplay any signs of inspiration or enthusiasm. The absence and denial of this is really beginning to bother me. And any form of disregard on my part would only make me seem arrogant.

It's a rainy, cold Saturday morning so I took two classes today - step and body sculpt. The first class was good. My only complaint is there was all this twirling and choreography. Where's the workout in this? I tried exchanging twirls with squats and of course the teacher told me not to. The previous mentioned occurred in the second class. The teacher even started class 10 minutes late because a student said her stomach muscles hurt. The teacher put her on a mat and did a little inspection. This cut into our class time. Additionally, before she started class she even insisted this other student spit out her gum. Why? I need gum all the time in aerobic classes. Some studies have shown that it actually assists in breathing. There are too many requirements and babying going on in this gym, and it's supposed to be the "highest end" fitness center in London.

David Williams and Matt Lucas poke fun at two American stereotypes Tom and Mark in the US version of Little Britain.
I agree that certain body builders and American fitness "enthusiasts" are borderline vain and unhealthy, some way beyond borderline. The characters are tongue-and-cheek and undeniably funny. But after experiencing much discouragement in fitness here, I see the existence of challenge and motivation not necessarily a bad thing. They're taking the piss but can they even push themselves?

No comments:

Post a Comment