Thursday 23 October 2008

Introduction

"Eurodon" is my portmanteau for "Europe" and "London". London is an unconventional European city for it is possibly more comparable, at least to me, to cosmopolitan metropoli such as New York, Paris, Berlin, and Tokyo. In this blog, I may make generalizations about London, but I don't want to confuse that with Europe as a whole. London may not be typically "European", but London is majorly populated by Europeans. Depending on the context, I will refer to each indepdently but wholely in this blog.

This is my third time leaving the motherland and living in Europe. First time I will group 2 occasions, both of which took place in London - one month study abroad for my BA and about over a year for my MA at King's College. Second time was to, what I want to refer to as an uber European city, Copenhagen Denmark. Presently, I am back in London with a different telescope which is where this catharsis begins.

Inital migrations to Europe had defined me on a more personal, individual level. I learned about myself, my place in this world, and predominately formed many of my views by **accepting** new ideas, cultures, and criticism. It was about me adjusting to my environment and learning to challenge my potential. Perhaps driven by naivete. Perhaps driven by young ambition. Whatever the cause, I returned to America with a more global eye.

But as time ticks and I am once again in the land of Eurodon, at a time when American affairs are critical to the rest of the world and most importantly to themselves, I find myself a NEW American perspective on this terra firma of prosperity. I am a new American and loyalist. Far from conservative in my political views but perhaps traditional in personal values and ideals, I redefine what it means to me to be an American in Europe. I am a lover and hater of both societies, but today I will **reject** and criticize common stereotypes, prejudices, and misconceptions of what I call home.

So...to my new perspective....

1 comment:

  1. this is soooooo cool =) kind of nerdy but very much necessary. its like a diary for the rest of...EVERYONE to see. i love it

    ReplyDelete