Saturday 27 December 2008

Christmas in a Jiffy

I've been completely out of touch with my blog over the holidays! Just got back from a week in Copenhagen. As some of you know, I lived in the city for 3 months before and was hoping for a different, perhaps better experience. In ways I was satisfied and in others the question is questionable. The city itself had better spirit and I guess it explains that there are two seasons in which Danes are 'sociable' - the summer and Christmas. Tis true, though to American or Filipino standards they are by far far from it. Apparently it is because I don't get the humour, because meaning is lost in translation, because I am biased or what have you. The countryside and its mindset is another story. Nevertheless there is a mouthful of rave as well as criticism I find with the culture and so continues one of my most problematic dilemmas with a country I both admire and despise. Twas my first Christmas away from home and indeed it was an interesting one. For the sake of some of my Danish readership and in honor of obvious cross-cultural complexities, I will leave it at that. I am, however, quite bullheaded about the topic so if it ever comes up, more than a paragraph of words should surely arise. Just ask. Will be posting pictures soon from the trip, most of which will portray the more transparent backdrop of my experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment